Monday, October 28, 2013

Louis Jenkins Response

My first impression of Louis Jenkins poems was that I really enjoyed them. I liked how they were descriptive, like he was just jotting down observations and a conversation he was having. Then he would go a bit deeper with the meaning. Like in his poem "Football" he states, "One has certain responsibilities,
one has to make choices. This isn't right and I'm not going to throw it." In the beginning he was just talking about a football, then he talks about an old shoe and pancakes but somehow he makes it work. He ties it together with the line "I realize that this is a world where anything is possible and I understand, also, that one often has to make do with what one has. " He does this descriptive story telling into a deeper meaning it almost all of his poems. Like in his poem "The Talk" it starts out very light-hearted but then at the line "Then she was silent. She looked at him. He saw that her eyes were gray" it all turns around. In the beginning he was talking about the instant connection he had with her and how she had stunning blue eyes. When her eyes turned gray, that's when the problem arises and she feels like he is smothering her even though they just met. I really like his prose poetry and it is something that would be fun to master because I think the simplicity of it is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment